Partly to prepare for a course I am leading titled ‘painterly lino-cuts’ at Gainsborough’s House, I have made the prints below. The textures were created by using a combination of caustic soda to etch the surfaceof the lino and by applying the ink in several thin layers, sometimes using small rollers.
It is also possible to use wax as a resist and then applying the caustic soda. The print below of Needham Lakes in Mid Suffolk was created in this way. Rather than using a reduction technique as I usually do and did with the prints above. This print is made using two seperate plates of lino and inking one up with a light grey and the other with dark grey.
The prints below were made using dry-point card or mount board that was prepared with a coat of PVA glue and water.
I have recently discovered that I can make some quite large prints by feeding the print plate trough my press and pressing the print in three or four sections. To avoid any lines showing from the hard edge of the press, I pack out the press using newspaper with a torn edge. Here are two prints I have recently made using this technique. The first one is an updated version of Ickworth Walled Garden and the second is the view from my bedroom window.
I have also made three more miniatures (about 10cm x 10 cm) to go with those I made previously.
I have also been experimenting with reduction woodcuts and I like the softer lines they create. Here are a few below, one of an Ash with some fresh growth, a spindle in fruit and some willow growing over a ditch.
I have been quite busy so far this year with both my print making and other work. recently I have been working on some collagraphs, partly to help prepare for a collagraph course I ran at Gainsborough’s House print workshop in the spring. These are some of the results.